About the Book
For 25 years, pastor John Piper has been provoking Christians with the simple but paradigm-shattering truth that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.
Satisfaction. Happiness. Joy. The pursuit of pleasure in God is not only permissible; it’s essential.
Building his message on hundreds of Scriptures, especially from the Psalms, the apostle Paul, and Jesus himself—and echoing the likes of Blaise Pascal, Jonathan Edwards, and C.S. Lewis—Piper beckons us to approach God with the hedonist’s abandon. Finally, we are freed to enjoy Jesus not only as our Lord and Savior, but also our all-surpassing, soul-satisfying Treasure.
As important today as ever, Desiring God may turn your Christian world upside down. And that will be a good thing, for the glory of God, and for your deepest joy.
First Edition 1986; Revised Edition 2011
Multnomah Books (Colorado Springs, Colorado)
Table of Contents
Introduction: How I Became a Christian Hedonist
1. The Happiness of God: Foundation for Christian Hedonism
2. Conversion: The Creation of a Christian Hedonist
3. Worship: The Feast of Christian Hedonism
4. Love: The Labor of Christian Hedonism
5. Scripture: Kindling for Christian Hedonism
6. Prayer: The Power of Christian Hedonism
7. Money: The Currency of Christian Hedonism
8. Marriage: A Matrix for Christian Hedonism
9. Missions: The Battle Cry of Christian Hedonism
10. Suffering: The Sacrifice of Christian Hedonism
Epilogue: Why I Have Written This Book: Seven Reasons
Appendix: Why Call It Christian Hedonism
Group Study Guide by Desiring God