Election! –What a blessed word! What a glorious doctrine! Who does not rejoice to know that he has been chosen to some great blessing? Election is unto salvation–the greatest of all blessings. And strange to say, this is a neglected truth even by many who profess to believe it, and others have a feeling of repulsion at the very mention of this Bible-revealed, God-honouring, and man humbling truth. Spurgeon said, “There seems to be an inveterate prejudice in the human mind against this doctrine, and although most other doctrines will be received by professing Christians, some with caution, others with pleasure, yet this one seems to be most frequently disregarded and discarded.”
GENERAL REMARKS TO DISARM PREJUDICE
1. Election is not salvation but is unto salvation
2. Election is not the cause of anybody going to hell, for election is unto salvation.
3. Election belongs to the system of grace.
4. Election does not prevent the salvation of anybody who wants to be saved.
5. Election means that the destiny of men is in the hands of God.
6. Election stands or falls with the doctrine of God’s sovereignty and man’s depravity.
7. The elect are manifested in repentance and faith and good works.
“He that perishes chooses to perish; but he that is saved is saved because God has chosen to save him.” —C.H. Spurgeon